Sex, According to the Bible
Sex is intended for a man and his wife.
At the beginning, when only Adam had been made,
18 The Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” 19 Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him. 21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. 23 And Adam said:
“This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man. ”
24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. – Genesis 2:18-24
"God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply...." - Genesis 1:27-28
Sex is NOT for ...
a human with an animal, (there was no “helper comparable”)
nor two people of the same sex, (God created “Adam and Eve,” not “Adam and Steve”),
nor a boyfriend and girlfriend,
nor even two people who are engaged. (“A man… shall be joined to his wife.”)
is a general term for sex outside marriage, and includes adultery, bestiality, and homosexuality, all of which are consistently condemned by God (Hebrews 13:4; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Romans 1:26-32; etc.).
People may consider these to be alternative lifestyles -- just as wickedness, perversion, and abomination are “alternatives” to righteousness, purity, and holiness -- but God does not approve of these choices.
Sex is intended to be a special, intimate expression of love.
(Read the Bible book, The Song of Solomon.)
Love takes at least three forms (for each of which there is a separate Greek word):
1) The divine and active good will toward someone, with an unselfish interest in their well being. (This love is a CHOICE which is too seldom achieved. It is the love with which “God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son….”)
2) The friendly companionship type of love, characterized by a warm feeling. And,
3) The erotic, sexual love. (This love is more an action, and is too often abused, or even mistaken for the first type.)
Sex is best as the natural extension of the first two types of love.
(Read the experts. Sex is best in monogamous relationships and gets better with time, as the relationship grows.)
If you want to have good sex:
- WAIT till you're married,
- Enjoy it with your spouse,
- Learn the other types of love to complement sexual love, and
- Give it time.
Sex is not only for procreation.
Sex is also permitted by God in a monogamous marriage as an outlet for desire.Summary
Because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. - 1 Corinthians 7:2
- God created people as sexual beings, male and female.
- God designed marriage as a "one-woman-one-man" arrangement.
- Marriage is the only relationship in which God approves of people having sex.
God condemns all other sexual arrangements.
- God blessed and approves of sexual relations in marriage for pleasure and/or procreation.
Notes for further study
From Matthew 19:1-12:
- Divorce always involves sin.
- Some people do not have a right to marry.
- It's possible for two married people to be commiting adultery ... with each other!
- Getting married is optional, not mandatory.
From Matthew 5:27-30; Ephesians 2:3; Romans 1:24
- Sexual sins include impure thoughts and out-of-bounds fantasies.
Written by Ink Man
Quotes are from the New King James Version of the Bible.
©2005-2019 — All rights reserved in all media / Todos los derechos reservados en toda forma.